It’s that time of year again to say goodbye to our cozy home we have found in destination Nordic. Thank you for all the wonderful memories, bright colors, and lessons on biking. We’ve learned a lot from our trip and hope you have too! Finland, Sweden, and Denmark have taught us to notice the beauty in everything from nature, furniture, to the stars shining in the night sky.
2012 has been a whirlwind year filled with laughter, joy, celebrations for us at Tea! We hope your year has been memorable as well. What better way to say goodbye to 2012 and welcome 2013 than with mini party hats!
1. Download your free Mini Party Hat Printable. Print it on heavy weight paper like cardstock.
2. Cut out your mini hat template. Score the 3 lines to create slits for putting it together. It’s best to leave this task for the parents as it does require sharp scissors or an Exacto knife.
3. Now time for the fun stuff. Roll out whatever crepe paper streamers you want to use. Cut several 12 inch sections, we had about 4- 12 inch sections in varying colors.
4. Get your safety scissors ready and start creating the fringe! Fold the streamer in half lengthwise (hot dog style). We cut 1/2 and 2/3 way up the streamer to give it a varying look. Then cut the long strand into 2 or 3 inch pieces for easy application onto the hat.
5. Dot the non- fringed part of the streamer with liquid glue. Then apply the strands in a desirable pattern around the hat. The more layers of fringe the better. Naturally, you’ll want to overlap the layers of fringe.
6. Top off your hat with something festive and a smile! Then attach your hat onto the headband or ribbon.
The World Tree of Hope decorates San Francisco’s City Hall. Since 2006, the Rainbow World Fund (RWF) has encouraged individuals to inscribe wishes of peace and hope on 7,000 paper cranes that adorn a 25 foot tree. Over the years, the tree has come to symbolize hope for the future. It has evolved into a global symbol that has come to represent different cultures, sexual orientations, spiritual beliefs, and points of view. If you could wish for something, what would you wish for? Share with us on Tea’s Facebook.
Images courtesy of My Modern Met.
Did you see the scarf on page 4 of our Holiday 2012 Catalog and wonder where you could find one of your own? Our prop designer created ours by shredding a rug and twisting the strips together. You can make one yourself following the steps below. We bought thick gauge acyclic yarn and used scissors to craft our own scarf.
1. Unwind the yarn to desired length. Ours was around 6.5 ft to 7.5 ft long. We used the entire skein of yarn and had exercise weights as an extra set of hands. See the picture below.
2. Snip the yarn at half length (where the weight is positioned).
3. Divide the half into 2 even sections. Start twisting to one side. Then twist the other half to the same side (both in or both out). Then twist both previously twisted sides together. Tie a knot at the end.
4. Repeat for the other side.
5. Twist the 2 twisted halves together and knot it at the end. Knot where you want the tassels to begin.
Look how easy it was to twist your own scarf.
*Please note that this activity should be for kids 3 years and up.
We are well into the holiday season and it’s finally time to wrap some gifts. Tired of the same old printed paper? Why not make your own? You can purchase plain brown paper or even go green and use the inside of a brown paper bag.
Reasons we liked brown wrap paper:
1) Your creativity can run wild- stamps, glitter, markers and more! You have a blank canvas to create.
2) You can personalize each gift.
3) It’s good for every occasion (Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, birthdays, graduations, anniversaries etc)
Below are some ways we wrapped up our holiday gifts using, neon yarn, letter stamps, a brown paper bag, glittered pine cones, and of course glitter!
Share this post with your friends. Tis the season of giving. Happy wrapping!
Here’s a fun twist to pine cones during the holidays. We thought it would be fun to add a pop of color to our cinnamon scented pine cones. It’s a guaranteed good time with your kids. Make sure your child can operate a paint brush and you are in business.
It’s best to squeeze your paint onto a paper plate for easy application onto your paint brush.
Step 1: Hold the pine cone by the top branch, and apply a generous amount of paint onto your paint brush and dab the edge of the pine cone. Make sure you get an even coat as this provides for a more vibrant color. From trial and error, we learned it’s best to start working your way up from the bottom otherwise you’ll end up with neon hand prints all over your furniture.
Step 2: Let it dry overnight.
Step 3: We thought it would be fun to cut name tags from card stock. We stamped our names on them. These are great placecards for your holiday dinner party or dip a whole bunch of pine cones and display them in a glass vase. We used them around the office for some holiday pizazz. The possibilities are endless.
Share this post with your friends & leave a comment if you try this activity. We’d love to hear about your experience!
Guest blogger, Alyson, shares a kid- friendly Swedish Apple Pie recipe with us.
The kids and I whipped up this quick, easy, fun dessert. Apple pie is a popular dessert in Sweden. We loved making this crust-less apple pie because the kids could pitch in. Who doesn’t love practicing your counting and getting rewarded with a sweet treat at the end? You can bet they enjoyed each bite of this dessert. Things always do taste better when you bake it yourself. Here’s how you and your kids can whip up this recipe in a pinch.
4 – 5 medium apples
1 and ¼ cups sugar
3 teaspoons cinnamon
¾ cup butter
1 cup flour
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. Peel the apples and slice them. Put them into a pie pan.
Eric (five-and-a-half) was able to do it by himself, and Abigail (almost four) needed a little assistance. The kids loved this! (Peeling carrots is another favorite activity.)
3. Mix ¼ cup sugar and 3 teaspoons of cinnamon.
4. Sprinkle this mixture over the apples.
5. In a pan, melt the butter and then remove from the heat.
6. Add the remaining ingredients to the butter and mix.
7. Pour evenly over the apples.
8. Bake 45 minutes.
Image courtesy of Food.com.
See the full recipe.
Horses have played a major role in the development of all cultures, maybe because they proved reliable creatures and friends. For the past three holiday seasons, we have featured horses on our girls’ tees. Take a trip down memory lane with us.
2. Modern Mexico Flying pony inspired by Mexican alebrijes Fall 2011 collection.
We made a printable coloring page so you can create your own holiday horse ornaments!
“12 Days of Gifting Sweepstakes”
PLEASE REVIEW THESE OFFICIAL RULES BEFORE ENTERING THE SWEEPSTAKES. NO PAYMENT OR PURCHASE IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PAYMENT OR PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED BY LAW.
- ELIGIBILITY: The Sweepstakes is open only to legal residents of the 50 United States (excluding Puerto Rico and including the District of Columbia) who are at least eighteen (18) years of age as of December 9, 2012. Entrants must have pre-existing Internet access and an email account in order to enter the Sweepstakes, and must be opted-in to receive email messages from Sponsor at the time of the random prize drawing in order to win. Employees, officers, and directors of Sponsor and their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, dealerships (including retail stores), suppliers, and advertising, promotion and fulfillment agencies are not eligible to enter or win, nor are immediate family members or household members. “Immediate family members” means parents, step-parents, legal guardians, children, step-children, siblings, step-siblings, and spouses. “Household members” means those people who share the same residence at least three months a year.
- HOW TO ENTER: No payment or purchase is necessary, and a payment or purchase will not increase your chances of winning. The Sweepstakes begins at 12:01 am PST (“PT”) on December 9, 2012 and ends at 11:59 pm PT on December 9, 2012 (the “Sweepstakes Period”). To enter, go to Tea Collection’s Facebook page at [www.facebook.com/teacollection] (the “Sweepstakes Site”) and follow the instructions provided to enter. All entries must be received by 11:59 p.m. PT on December 9, 2012 (the “Deadline”). Proof of submission is not proof of receipt, and the Sponsor designated computer is the only valid official time-keeping devices for the Sweepstakes.
Limit one (1) entry per person and one (1) entry per email address. Multiple entries received from any person or email address after the first entry received from that person or email address will be void. Entries without all of the required information will be disqualified. In addition, Sponsor will have no responsibility for, and will have the right to refuse in its sole and complete discretion, any mass entries or reproductions, any entries that have been tampered with or that reflect an attempt to tamper with the Sponsor website or Facebook page, the Sweepstakes Site, or the entry process, and any entries that are late, lost, stolen, illegible, misdirected, damaged, inaccurate, or incomplete, whether due to Internet or email server failure or otherwise. Sponsor and its agents are not responsible for lost, late, or misdirected entries, for technical, hardware or software failures of any kind, for lost or unavailable network connections, or for failed, incomplete, garbled or delayed computer transmissions or any human error which may occur in the receipt or processing of the entries. Sponsor reserves the right to modify the scheduling of the Sweepstakes without prior notification. Any attempt at entry except as above stated is void. All entries become the property of the Sponsor and will not be acknowledged or returned. The Sponsor has the right to disqualify any entry that is not in compliance with these Rules, including all eligibility requirements.
The Sponsor will be collecting personal data about participants when they register and enter the Sweepstakes. By participating in the Sweepstakes, you agree to all of the terms and conditions of the Privacy Policies. It is the entrant’s responsibility to inform the Administrator if the entrant’s contact information changes after the entry is submitted. In the event of a dispute regarding the identity of the person submitting an entry, the entry will be deemed to be submitted by the person in whose name the e-mail account is registered on the date the entry is submitted.
- WINNER SELECTION AND NOTIFICATION: One (1) potential winner (“Potential Winner”) will be selected in a random drawing by the Sponsor or its designee on or about December 10, 2012. The Potential Winner will be notified by email using the email address provided in the Sweepstakes entry (“Prize Notification”) and must respond by email within seven (7) calendar days of the date of the Prize Notification (the “Prize Deadline”), with Potential Winner’s full name and a mailing address (“Mailing Information”) where Sponsor can send his/her Prize (if warranted), and (if requested by Sponsor) a Declaration or Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability/Publicity Release in a form acceptable to the Sponsor (collectively, the “Sweepstakes Documents”). The mailing address must be a street address (no P.O. Boxes). If the Potential Winner does not respond to the Prize Notification by the Prize Deadline, he or she will be disqualified and an alternate Potential Winner will be selected from all remaining eligible entries received for the original drawing. The Sponsor is not responsible for the failure for any reason whatsoever any Potential Winner to receive his or her Prize Notification or for Sponsor to receive the Potential Winner’s responses and/or Sweepstakes Documents. Return of any Prize Notification or Sweepstakes Documents as undeliverable, the inability of Sponsor to contact the Potential Winner, the failure of the Potential Winner to contact the Sponsor in a timely manner, the inability of the Potential Winner to accept or receive the Prize for any reason, and/or the non-acceptance by the Potential Winner of any Prize for any reason will result in disqualification of such Potential Winner, and an alternate Potential Winner will be selected randomly from all remaining eligible entries received. A Potential Winner who receives a Prize is known as the “Winner”.
PRIZE: One (1) winner will receive a Tea Collection $100 gift certificate, valid only for use at www.teacollection.com. (Total ARV of $100)
. Odds of winning depend on the number of eligible entries received before the Deadline. Prize details are in Sponsor’s sole discretion.:
- PRIZE CONDITIONS: All Prize values are stated in United States dollars. Selection and specifics of all Prizes will be determined at the Sponsor’s sole discretion. If a stated Prize is unavailable, Sponsor has the right to substitute one or more items of equal or greater value, in its sole and absolute discretion. Winner is not entitled to any surplus between the actual retail value of the Prize and its stated ARV. No cash redemption or prize substitution or exchange allowed. All Prizes are non-transferable. Winner will be solely responsible for complying with any and all applicable federal, state, provincial, local or other statutes, regulations, and other laws and for bearing any VAT, withholding taxes, personal income taxes, customs duties or other taxes, fees, insurance, surcharges or other costs relating to the Prize. ALL PRIZES, AND ALL PRODUCTS, SERVICES, OR ITEMS PURCHASED WITH ANY PRIZE, ARE PROVIDED AND AWARDED “AS IS” AND WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND. SPONSOR DOES NOT MAKE, AND EXPRESSLY DISCLAIM, ANY WARRANTY, WHETHER EXPRESS, IMPLIED, OR STATUTORY, REGARDING ANY PRIZE OR ANY PORTION THEREOF, OR ANY PRODUCT, SERVICE OR ITEM PURCHASED WITH ANY PRIZE, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION ANY IMPLIED OR STATUTORY WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, TITLE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. Acceptance, participation in and/or use of the Prizes, and any products, services or items purchased with the Prizes, are at the Winner’s sole risk and Sponsor is not responsible for any damages whatsoever, including special, indirect, or consequential damages, arising out of or in connection with the use and/or misuse of any of the Prize or any products, services or items purchased with the Prize. Prizes will be awarded by email, U.S. Mail, Federal Express, UPS and/or other shipping method, in Sponsor’s and/or its Prize suppliers’ sole discretion, using the information provided in the Sweepstakes Entry.
- REPRESENTATIONS: By entering the Sweepstakes, each entrant represents and warrants that: (a) the entrant meets all eligibility requirements of the Sweepstakes; (b) in entering and participating in the Sweepstakes, the entrant has complied with and will comply in all respects with these Rules and all applicable statutes, regulations and other laws; and (c) the information provided in the entrant’s entry, including without limitation all contact information, is true, accurate and complete in all respects.
- GRANT OF RIGHTS: By accepting a prize, each Winner consents to the use of his/her name and/or likeness (voice, biographical information, city and state of residence, statements, photograph, and recording) for advertising and promotional purposes (including, but not limited to, use on Sponsor’s web site and/or Facebook pages) without additional compensation, except where prohibited by law.
- RELEASE: All decisions of Sponsor are final and binding, and entrants agree to waive any right to claim ambiguity in the Sweepstakes or these Rules, except where prohibited by law. To the maximum extent permitted by law, by entering the Sweepstakes, each entrant releases and holds harmless the Sponsor, Administrator, the Prize manufacturers or suppliers, any other entities involved in the administration of the Sweepstakes, each of their respective parents, subsidiaries, and affiliates, and each of their respective officers, directors, employees, agents and representatives (the “Sponsor Parties“) from any and all responsibility, liability, damages (including without limitation direct, indirect, incidental, consequential, punitive, statutory and other damages), losses, costs, or expenses of any kind arising out of or relating to: (a) the Sweepstakes and participation in the Sweepstakes by the entrant; (b) any violation by the entrant of these Rules or applicable laws; (c) the acceptance, possession, receipt, or use of any Prize or any product, service, or item purchased with any Prize; (d) any entries that have been tampered with, or that evidence an attempt to tamper with the Sponsor website or Facebook page, the Sweepstakes Site, or the entry process, or that are misdirected, incomplete, non-conforming, corrupt, lost, late, or ineligible; (e) any problems or technical malfunctions (including but not limited to errors, omissions, interruptions, deletions, defects, or delays in operation or transmission) of any computer, telephone, modem, cable, satellite, network, hardware, online system, server, software, or other equipment or provider, including any incorrect, incomplete, garbled or jumbled information resulting there from; (f) any Internet traffic congestion or website accessibility or delays; (g) printing or typographical errors in any Sweepstakes-related materials; or (h) any other technical or human error that may occur in connection with the Sweepstakes (the “Causes“). If anyone makes any claim against any of the Sponsor Parties arising out of or relating to any of the Causes attributable to the entrant, the entrant will pay for any damages, losses, liabilities, costs, penalties, and expenses, including without limitation attorneys’ and experts’ fees and costs, incurred in connection with such claim. WITHOUT LIMITING THE GENERALITY OF THE FOREGOING, THE SPONSOR PARTIES SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY LOST PROFITS OR ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, INDIRECT, PUNITIVE, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF THE SWEEPSTAKES, HOWSOEVER CAUSED, WHETHER ARISING IN STATUTE, TORT, CONTRACT, OR OTHER LEGAL THEORY, AND ALL SUCH DAMAGES ARE HEREBY DISCLAIMED AND EXCLUDED.
10. USE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION: In order to participate in this Sweepstakes, participants will be required to supply certain information about themselves. Sponsor has specified which information is mandatory in order to participate in the Sweepstakes. By entering the Sweepstakes, each participant agrees that such information can be used by Sponsor in connection with administering the Sweepstakes and as set forth in the Privacy Policies.
11. CHANGES AND TERMINATION: Sponsor reserves the right to make changes or additions to these Rules and/or extend the dates of this Sweepstakes for any reason at any time. Sponsor failure to enforce any term of these Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision. Sponsor reserves the right to suspend, modify or terminate the Sweepstakes at any time and for any reason in its sole discretion, including without limitation in the event of fraud, abuse, tampering, or technical, administrative, financial or other difficulties. In such cases, Sponsor will post notice on the Sweepstakes Site. Should the Sweepstakes terminate prior to selection of a winner, an alternate means of awarding the prizes will be announced on the Sweepstakes Site.
12. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT OR ANY OTHER INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY ALTER OR DAMAGE ANY WEBSITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATIONS OF THE SWEEPSTAKES MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
13. DISPUTES: Each entrant agrees that (1) any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or in connection with this Sweepstakes, or any prizes awarded, shall be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and any judicial proceeding shall take place in a federal or state court in San Francisco, California; (2) any and all claims, judgments, and awards shall be limited to actual out-of-pocket costs incurred, including costs associated with entering this Sweepstakes, but in no event attorneys fees and (3) under no circumstances will entrant be permitted to obtain awards for, and entrant hereby waives all rights to claim punitive, incidental, and consequential damages, and any other damages (other than for actual out-of-pocket expenses), and any and all rights to have damages multiplied or otherwise increased.
14. MISCELLANEOUS: If any part of these Rules is held by a court of competent jurisdiction to be invalid, illegal, or otherwise unenforceable, such part will be modified by such court to the minimum extent necessary to make it enforceable while preserving to the maximum extent possible the original intent of Sponsor, and the remaining parts of these Rules will remain in full force and effect. Nothing contained herein or in any of the Sweepstakes-related materials should be construed as an endorsement by Sponsor of any third party, product or service.
15. WINNER’S LIST/OFFICIAL RULES: For a list of Winners or a copy of the Rules, please send a self-addressed stamped envelope to: “12 Days of Gifting,” Winner’s List/Official Rules, c/o Tea Collection, One Arkansas Street, Suite B, San Francisco, CA 94107, to be received no later than March 31, 2012. Winners’ lists will be sent once all Winners have been verified and Prizes have been awarded.
Here is a fresh new center piece that you and your kids can make together! We think there can never be too much enthusiasm for glitter especially during the holidays.
When taking a walk one day, I realized how pretty these little eucalyptus acorns can be. I thought to myself, there must be some craft that I could do. Lo and behold there was! Glittered acorns. Take a walk and gather some acorns with your kids, don’t forget to bundle up in your favorite Tea sweater first. After you get home, shake out all the loose dirt, nobody wants dirt in their Christmas centerpiece.
Step 1: In many craft sessions, I have learned that it’s best to squeeze liquid glue into a paper plate or bowl so it’s easy for you to dip your paint brush into. Next, cover your entire acorn in glue. The more the better!
Step 2: Next, sprinkle your choice of colored glitter all over the acorn. Tap the acorn to rid of excess glitter. It’s best to glitter over a newspapered surface for easy clean-up and recycling of glitter. Shake and repeat the steps for as many acorns as you have.
Step 3: We let our acorn sticks dry standing upright in potted plants. The dirt keeps the sticks and acorns from touching any clean surfaces. Let it dry overnight and you’ll have centerpieces by the morning. Santa did really come to town!